Intermission

Today I am writing this post from my house in Anchorage, having been on the boat for a month and a half and having sailed over 1,000nm to Yacutat, (I know, I'm way behind on the posts) I have finally been forced ashore by that accursed bane of sailors: headwinds. So far, on the inside passage, the wind hasn't really affected me, as it is almost always light and variable anyway, but crossing the gulf in quite another cup of tea. The prevailing winds are from the west, and combined with the pacific ocean rollers coming in from the south, both wind and seas can conspire to make any west-bound sailor's life a misery. My dad and I were lucky to catch the tail end of a favorable low pressure to get  to Yacutat, but even then we ended up with one day of beating in which we made only 30nm towards Yacutat in 24 hours. So now, with the boat deserted and silent for the first time in 45 days, I'm back in Anchorage, enjoying the luxuries of shore life while waiting for another weather window to carry Darwind and myself home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5

Pacific Mexico

San Diego-La paz